15.610 advice for an online edition, and a query

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 02:41:22 EDT

       [1] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (35)
             Subject: Re: 15.602 seeking advice for an online edn

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com> (11)
             Subject: purpose of the edition?

             Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:37:15 +0100
             From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>

    Robert,

    > Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 06:43:06 +0100
    > From: Robert.Knapp@directory.reed.edu (Robert Knapp)
    > >

    >But I'm concerned about several issues: 1) after initial data entry (using
    >a standard word processor) and proofreading, what's the best software for
    >SGML/XML tagging (using a Mac platform)? Adobe Framemaker + SGML looks
    >promising; others recommend Dreamweaver. Advice eagerly solicited.

    The issue of SGML/XML tagging tends to come up fairly often and as the
    not been mentioned so far is the OpenOffice software, see,
    http://www.openoffice.org, which saves documents in a native XML format. I
    am at a bible encoding conference in Rome at the moment and there has been
    some discussion about use of this software and construction of an export
    filter that would allow bible translators to use this software as a basic
    word processing program (with styles) and then transform the document into
    some other XML encoding (as opposed to the native one of the software).

    Note this is just discussion so far and I have no practical experience to
    offer for such a solution at this point. It is something that I will be
    actively pursuing over the next several months and I would be interested in
    sharing experiences on this list or elsewhere about such a solution.

    (Wendell:

    >At the low end, there is e-macs

    really! ;-) I don't consider Emacs to be at the "low end" but in the
    interest of religious harmony on the list will refrain from nominating my
    candidates for the "low end" of SGML/XML editing tools. ;-) FYI, Wendell is
    correct about the high learning curve for Emacs, although I think it is
    worthwhile.)

    Best of luck with your project!

    Patrick

    Patrick Durusau