15.585 new members in AMICO

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 03:19:35 EDT

             Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:23:15 +0100
             From: "J. Trant - Executive Director" <jtrant@amico.org>
             Subject: AMICO Announces New Members

    Art Museum Image Consortium
    www.amico.org
    Enabling Educational Use of Museum Multimedia

    AMICO Press Release
    For Immediate Release: April 14, 2002

    The Art Museum Image Consortium Welcomes New Members
    The Louisiana State Museum, The Newark Museum,
    the Terra Museum of American Art and the Victoria & Albert Museum join AMICO

    The Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO) welcomes four new members to our
    growing collaboration. The Newark Museum, the Louisiana State Museum, Terra
    Museum of American Art, and the Victoria & Albert Museum join thirty--two
    other museums in an unprecedented collaboration to enable educational use
    of museum multimedia. Together AMICO's Members are building The AMICO
    Library, an on-line multi-media resource documenting works of art in their
    collections.

    "AMICO draws its strength from the diversity of its Members" says Elizabeth
    Broun, Director of the Smithsonian American Art Museum and AMICO's Chair.
    "This exceptional group of new members will further develop The AMICO
    Library and enhance our collaboration."

    Mark Jones, the Director of the Victoria & Albert Museum remarked, "The V&A
    is committed to making its collections available and useful to as many
    people as possible. We are glad to collaborate with our partners in AMICO
    in creating common access to the wonderful objects that these museums contain."

    James F. Sefcik, Assistant Secretary, Office of State Museums, Department
    of Culture, Recreation & Tourism, and Director, Louisiana State Museum,
    concurred "the opportunity to share the resources of the group with others
    is remarkable. I look forward to the time - and it gets closer every day -
    when students worldwide will be able to share the collective wealth of the
    Louisiana State Museum and our sister institutions for their own work and
    information.

    AMICO Members are working together to ensure that teachers and students,
    researchers and museum professionals world-wide can easily access and use
    museum multimedia documentation. The 2002 release of The AMICO Library will
    document approximately 100,000 works of art from our Members collections.
    This exceptional compilation is a valuable resource in teaching across the
    Arts and Humanities curriculum. Subscribing institutions around the world
    are making creative use of previously inaccessible or difficult to find
    images, text documentation, multimedia and sound files, including those
    from selected Antenna Audio tours.

    Membership in AMICO is open to institutions with a collection of art,
    willing to contribute to The AMICO Library. Please contact Jennifer Trant,
    AMICO's Executive Director at jtrant@amico.org for further information.

    About AMICO

    The Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO) is a growing, independent
    non-profit (501c3) corporation. Founded in 1997, the Consortium today is
    made up of over 35 major museums in the United States, Canada, and the
    United Kingdom. It's an innovative collaboration - not seen before in
    museums - that shares, shapes, and standardizes digital information
    regarding museum collections and enables its educational use. Membership
    is open to any institution with a collection of art.

    Together AMICO Members build The AMICO LibraryTM a compilation of
    multimedia documentation of works in their collections. The 2002 edition
    of The AMICO Library documents approximately 100,000 different works of
    art, from prehistoric goddess figures to contemporary installations; new
    works are added annually. More than simply an image database, AMICO
    Library works are fully documented and may include curatorial text,
    detailed provenance information, multiple views, and other related
    multimedia. Subscribers find The AMICO Library valuable because it
    combines the immediacy and accessibility of the Web with the persistence
    and academic weight of traditional library reference sources.

    The AMICO Library is accessible over secure networks to licensed
    subscribers such as universities, colleges, libraries, schools, and
    museums. Over 3 million users on four continents include faculty, students,
    teachers, staff, researchers, and public library patrons. Educational
    subscribers receive access to The AMICO Library through one of our
    Distributors. A subscription to The AMICO Library provides rights to use
    works for a broad range of educational purposes. Potential subscribers may
    preview a Thumbnail Catalog of The AMICO Library, request a free trial from
    our Distributors, and get further information at http://www.amico.org.

    Contact Information

    Jennifer Trant
    Executive Director
    Art Museum Image Consortium
    Phone: +1 412 422 8533
    Email: info@amico.org
    Web: http://www.amico.org

    AMICO Members

       Albright-Knox Art Gallery
    Art Gallery of Ontario
    The Art Institute of Chicago
    Asia Society Gallery
    Center for Creative Photography
    Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
    The Cleveland Museum of Art
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Davis Museum & Cultural Center, Wellesley College
    Denver Art Museum
    The Detroit Institute of Arts
    Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
    The Frick Collection and Art Reference Library
    George Eastman House
    J. Paul Getty Museum
    The Library of Congress
    Los Angeles County Museum of Art
    Louisiana State Museum
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art
    The Minneapolis Institute of Arts
    The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
    Muse d'art contemporain de Montral
    Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego
    Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
    National Gallery of Canada
    National Museums of Scotland
    The Newark Museum
    Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
    Philadelphia Museum of Art
    San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
    Smithsonian American Art Museum
    Terra Museum of American Art
    Victoria & Albert Museum
    Walker Art Center
    The Walters Art Museum
    Whitney Museum of American Art

    --
    ________
    J. Trant                        2008 Murray Ave, Suite D

    AMICO - Enabling Educational Use of Museum Multimedia ________