15.556 studentship; ELRA news; Theatron honoured

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 06:00:14 EST

       [1] From: Yorick Wilks <yorick@dcs.shef.ac.uk> (17)
             Subject: White Rose Studentship

       [2] From: Magali Duclaux <duclaux@elda.fr> (32)
             Subject: ELRA News

       [3] From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com> (63)
             Subject: Computerworld honours Theatron

             Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:54:38 +0100
             From: Yorick Wilks <yorick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>

    The Universities of Leeds and Sheffield, UK, are offering a "White Rose"
    3-year PhD studentship, beginning October 2002 on a project entitled
    "Characterising the impact of machine translation on information extraction
    in an integrated knowledge management environment".

    Candidates should have expertise in the formal description of English
    grammar, holding a good Honours or Masters degree in, for example, modern
    languages, linguistics or computer science. They should have good reading
    knowledge of one language among Fr, De, Es, It, Ja, Pt, Ru and Zh, and feel
    comfortable with high-level computer tools for corpus annotation.

    The project will be jointly supervised by Prof. Tony Hartley, Centre for
    Translation Studies, Leeds, and Prof. Yorick Wilks, Department of Computer
    Science, Sheffield. The post will be based in Leeds but involve regular
    visits to Sheffield, approximately 1 hour distant.

    The studentship provides tuition fees, an annual maintenance grant of 8,000
    and a contribution towards research expenses.

    For further details, see http://www.leeds.ac.uk/rds/white-rose.htm

    Closing date: 19 April 2002
    Enquiries to yorick@dcs.shef.ac.