15.516 new on WWW: Blake Archive update

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 06:05:45 EST

             Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:32:20 +0000
             From: "Andrea K. Laue" <akl3s@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
             Subject: William Blake Archive Update

    The William Blake Archive is pleased to announce the publication of
    Blake's first group of twenty-one water colors illustrating the Book
    of Job. These were created on commission for Blake's major patron,
    Thomas Butts, as a series of nineteen water colors c. 1805-06; two
    further designs were added to the group at a later date, probably c.
    1821-27. While Blake had drawn and engraved some important designs
    based on Job in earlier years, the Butts set of water colors is his
    first attempt to create a pictorial narrative of the whole story,
    from what Blake believed to be Job's misapprehensions about God,
    through Job's torments at the hands of Satan, to the restoration of
    Job's physical and spiritual wellbeing. The later set of Job water
    colors that Blake executed for John Linnell and the famous engraved
    series were both based on this earlier, Butts group.

    The release of Blake's Job water colors is particularly significant
    because it marks our first publication of Blake's "Non-Illuminated
    Works." This new "wing" of the Archive will gradually be populated
    with Blake engravings, paintings, drawings, manuscripts, and
    typographic editions. In the near future, we will add such important
    works as the Job engravings and water color illustrations to the
    poetry of John Milton, Thomas Gray, and Edward Young.

    In the interest of publishing the greatest number of high-quality
    images in the shortest span of time, we are introducing to
    the Archive a new "Preview mode." Like the current presentation of
    Blake's illuminated books in the Archive, works in Preview will be in
    full and accurate color, with enlargements, and with searchable
    transcriptions of any texts, including even the briefest of
    inscriptions. The only functions that will not be available in Preview
    are image search and Inote. Thus, works in Preview will not
    offer descriptions of visual motifs, nor will those visual motifs be
    searchable. The advantage of this slightly reduced mode of display is
    that we will be able to add works to the Archive more expeditiously.
    All works in Preview will bear a clear indication that they are indeed
    in "Preview," both in all relevant tables of contents and on the basic
    Object View page. As we add many works in Preview, we will gradually
    shift them toward fully functional displays that will make image
    search and Inote available. The Job water colors announced here are
    currently available in Preview mode.

    At present the Archive contains, in addition to the Job water colors
    in Preview, 41 copies of 18 of Blake's 19 illuminated books, plus a
    fully SGML-encoded electronic edition of David V. Erdman's _Complete
    Poetry and Prose of William Blake_. In the near future we expect to
    release more drawings and prints in Preview; a much-anticipated
    electronic edition of _Jerusalem_ copy E, fully encoded for image
    search and Inote; and a collection of handlists for each of the
    Archive's contributing institutions as well as improved, searchable
    versions of our bibliographies. Future supplementary materials
    include a biography and glossary.

    As always, the William Blake Archive is a free site, imposing no
    access restrictions and charging no subscription fees. The site is
    made possible through the continuing support of the Institute for
    Advanced Technology in the Humanities at the University of Virginia,
    by a major grant from the Preservation and Access Division of the
    National Endowment for the Humanities, by the University of North
    Carolina at Chapel Hill, and by the cooperation of the international
    array of libraries and museums that have generously given us
    permission to represent works from their collections in the Archive.

    Morris Eaves, Robert N. Essick, and Joseph Viscomi, editors
    Matthew G. Kirschenbaum, technical editor
    The William Blake Archive