15.507 a "Creative Commons"; Budapest Open Access Initiative

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 04:39:59 EST

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (77)
             Subject: Advance Praise for Lessig's "Creative Commons"

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (24)
             Subject: Budapest Open Access Initiative: Endorsed by ARL

             Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:36:24 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    February 14, 2002

                        Advance Praise for Lessig's "Creative Commons"
                               http://www.creativecommons.org/

       http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2002/02/11/creatcom.DTL

    Below is the opening of a substantial article by San Francisco Chronicle
    reporter Hal Plotkin on Lawrence Lessig's plans for the "Creative Commons,"
    which should be formally announced in the next few weeks.

    The complete article may be read at the www.sfgate.com URL above.

    David Green

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit. For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:37:22 +0000 From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> Subject: Budapest Open Access Initiative: Endorsed by ARL

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources from across the Community February 14, 2002

    Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Endorses Budapest Open Access Initiative <http://www.arl.org/scomm/boai.html> <http://www.soros.org/openaccess/>

    In an interesting coincidental posting with the advance notice of the "Creative Commons," designed to offer free licenses outlining acceptable use of material in a newly-defined middle ground between full copyright control and the unprotected public domain, see this endorsement of the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) agreement designed to make donated research articles in all academic fields freely available on the Internet. ARL is one of 354 individuals and 33 organizations to have so far signed on to the initiative.

    The BOAI web site, encouraging further signatories, states that "For an individual, signing indicates a commitment to open access for one's own research (by self-archiving what one publishes in toll-based journals and/or by publishing in open-access-journals). For an institution, signing means a commitment to open access by supporting institutional self-archiving and/or open-access-journals."

    David Green ===========

    [material deleted]