15.497 Colloquium on visualisation 8 March 2002

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 03:02:01 EST

             Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 07:58:08 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com>
             Subject: Colloquium on visualisation 8 March 2002

    PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

    "Visualisation in the humanities"
    A Colloquium in the Seminar in Humanities Computing,
    King's College London,

    Speakers:
    MICHAEL BARLOW, Linguistics, Rice (Texas, USA), on the visualisation of
    text for linguistic and literary analysis. See
    <http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~barlow/>.
    RICHARD BEACHAM, Theatre Studies (Warwick, UK), on the application of
    virtual reality techniques in the visualisation and exploration of ancient
    theatres. See <http://www.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/ren/richard_beacham.htm>.
    MATTHEW KIRSCHENBAUM, English (Maryland, US), on the theory and practice of
    new media. See <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~mgk/>.
    PETER ROBINSON, Director, Centre for Technology and the Arts (De Montfort,
    UK), on visualisation in textual editions. See
    <http://www.cta.dmu.ac.uk/HSS/Departments/English/Staff/Peter%20Robinson/>
    and <http://www.cta.dmu.ac.uk/research.html>.

    This one-day colloquium brings together scholars who are creating new kinds
    of visual representations in disciplines across the humanities. Their work
    goes well beyond the now commonplace use of digital imaging for literal
    depictions; their more ambitious objective is explanatory power. By drawing
    on our abilities to comprehend and analyze visual phenomena, their methods
    give us new ways to understand our cultural artifacts, including those that
    are not primarily visual. Some principal themes include the importance of
    highlighting certain features or phenomena and filtering out others; the
    ability to deal with amounts of information not otherwise manageable; to
    create dynamic and interactive visualizations that aid experimentation with
    our objects of study. Visualization involves a combination of the
    algorithmic and the intuitive; it requires underlying computation but then
    results in a product that our minds can engage with closely.

    Further details, including titles, abstracts and a schedule of the day's
    events, will be available shortly. A modest fee will be charged for attendance.

    John Lavagnino
    Willard McCarty

    Dr Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer,
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London,
    Strand, London WC2R 2LS, U.K.,
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784, ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/,
    willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk, w.mccarty@btinternet.com