15.388 invitation to discuss reading/writing the Web

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 01:20:13 EST

             Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 06:16:18 +0000
             From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@cogprints.soton.ac.uk>
             Subject: Beyond Access and Impact: The Ultimate Benefit of
    SkyReading/Writing

    [You are invited to post your comments to the Amsci Forum and/or to
    http://www.text-e.org/debat -- the multilingual, multinational
    virtual-symposium dedicated to investigating the impact of the Web on
    reading, writing and the diffusion of knowledge: "Screens and Networks:
    Towards a New Relationship With the Written Word"]

    Beyond Access and Impact: The Ultimate Benefit of SkyReading/Writing

              Stevan Harnad

    Human cognition is not an island unto itself. As a species, we are not
    Leibnizian Monads independently engaging in clear, Cartesian thinking.
    Our minds interact. That's surely why our species has language. And
    that interactivity probably constrains both what and how we think.

    Although Wittgenstein's argument that there could be no "private
    language" -- because language is based on rule-following and rules are
    shared social conventions -- is probably overstated and refutable, for
    present purposes it is valid enough: Language is the main medium of
    interaction of our species and it is fundamentally interactive,
    dialogical. It did not evolve to leave us lost in subjective,
    solipsistic thought. In terms of the time we spend doing it, conversing
    probably exceeds all other forms of human interaction, including
    feeding, fighting, playing, mating, and the "grooming" that some have
    argued it has evolved to replace (Dunbar 1993
    http://www.bbsonline.org/documents/a/00/00/05/65/index.html).

    The origins of language have been the subject of much speculation
    (Harnad et al. 1976
    http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/documents/disk0/00/00/08/63/index.html),