15.342 changes

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 04:00:43 EST

       [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (49)
             Subject: how things have changed

       [2] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (27)
             Subject: Browse before you Buy! (ASOR books)

             Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:51:11 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

    Dear colleagues:

    This morning my pleasure was to receive an application for membership in
    this group from someone who introduces him- or herself by saying, "I am a
    Ph.D. student at the University of Georgia. My areas of concentration are
    Rhetoric and Composition, Literary Theory, and Humanities Computing...." We
    are amazed and delighted, those of us who can remember back to the time
    when that last area of concentration would have provoked blank
    incomprehension -- or even back to the time when it would have been
    comprehended but provoked career-fatal hostility from all but a beleaguered
    minority. I'm old enough to remember both -- and to be able to quote
    certain individuals still looking upon the light who declared that
    humanities computing was not an academic subject because it had no subject
    matter of its own, and various silly nonsense along those lines. And now we
    have declarations such as the above, which raise eyebrows because they
    raise no eyebrows.

    Thus the curriculum of humanities computing at the undergraduate and
    (post-)graduate levels becomes an urgent matter at those institutions
    currently with none, as it is the daily concern at the still too few places
    with programmes in place or on the desks of senior administrators. In about
    a week's time various of us will be gathering at Malaspina University
    College, Nanaimo, British Columbia, to spend two days talking about "The
    Humanities Computing Curriculum / The Computing Curriculum in the Arts and
    Humanities" (9-10/11), for which see
    <http://web.mala.bc.ca/siemensr/HCCurriculum/>. I hope we will disagree
    vigorously about all matters of detail, but a fundamental agreement makes
    the conference possible in the first place, in a time when travel is not
    quite as carefree as it used to be.

    In any case we can celebrate fulfilment of the prophecy that, as some of us
    once hoped, "...the loser now / Will be later to win" -- especially since
    "to win" means to be given the opportunity to do such intellectually
    challenging work. Yes, yes -- :-) --

    >Come mothers and fathers
    >Throughout the land
    >And don't criticize
    >What you can't understand
    >Your sons and your daughters
    >Are beyond your command
    >Your old road is
    >Rapidly agin'.
    >Please get out of the new one
    >If you can't lend your hand
    >For the times they are a-changin'.

    Yours,
    WM

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/