15.314 books by Katherine Hayles

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 05:15:43 EDT

             Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:57:34 +0100
             From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi
    <tripathi@amadeus.statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
             Subject: Katherine Hayles and the relations between literature &
    science

    dear humanist scholars,

    Hello --I thought, this might interest you -- N. Katherine Hayles. "Print
    Is Flat, Code Is Deep: Rethinking Signification in New Media"

    N. Katherine Hayles writes and teaches on the relations between literature
    and science in the twentieth century (soon to include the twenty-first
    century). She is currently at work on two books about electronic
    literature. The first, entitled Linking Bodies: Hypertext Fiction in Print
    and New Media, explores hypertext as a literary form and discusses its
    implications for the media-specific practices of print and computer
    technology. The second, Coding the Signifier, argues that current models
    of signification have embedded into their theoretical frameworks
    presuppositions that are actually about signifiers as they appear on the
    printed page rather than signifiers in general. Based on several case
    studies, this book offers new ways for thinking about signification in
    electronic environments.

    Her other books include How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in
    Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics (1999), Chaos and Order: Complex
    Dynamics in Literature and Science (1991), and Chaos Bound: Orderly
    Disorder in Contemporary Literature and Science (1990). Hayles has won
    numerous awards for her work, including a Guggenheim Fellowship, two
    fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, and a
    Rockefeller Residential Fellowship at Bellagio, Italy. She has been
    awarded the Distinguished Scholar Award from the University of Rochester,
    the Medal of Honor from the University of Helsinki, the Distinguished
    Scholar Award from the Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, and has
    won two Distinguished Teaching Awards at the University of California at
    Los Angeles, where she is a Professor of English.

    Thanks, I hope researchers in the field of literary criticism would be
    going to take benefits from my posting.

    Best Regards,
    Arun Tripathi aka Posthuman :)