15.317 language, habit and computation

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 05:13:01 EDT

       [1] From: helmut.bonheim@uni-koeln.de (23)
             Subject: Re: 15.313 language, habit and computation

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (42)

       [3] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (37)

             Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:01:37 +0100
             From: helmut.bonheim@uni-koeln.de

    Dear Willard McCarty,
    I work in an institute that has linguists in it, and over the decades
    we have remained on speaking terms. I think that they might offer a
    clear answer to your question about whether food might be eager to
    be eaten, in that "eager" is marked as a potential quality of the
    animal world (including man) and (despite Shakespeares "eager
    and a nipping air" in "Hamlet"). I know nothing about computers,
    except that I use all three of mine at different times of the day, but
    surely the very definition of "eager" would include a marker that
    shows the adjective normally to have an association with sentient
    beings (that is part of the "model" that each part of speech can be
    considered to be), so that food -- being hardly sentient, even if it is
    derived from an animal -- is barred from eagerness, except in a
    poetic or dadaist context.

    A while back I had a student to whom I showed an earlier message
    of yours, which also had a suggestion of model-reference in it, and
    he wrote quite a nice poem in a creative-writing course on that
    basis. If I could remember who it was, I would send you a copy, for
    in poetry, it is of course fashionable to make an impression by
    means of rule-breaking.

    Yours,

    Helmut Bonheim
    Univ. of Cologne