15.223 reading in bed

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 03:04:05 EDT

       [1] From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk> (13)
             Subject: Re: 15.221 bedside and in-tub reading?

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (22)
             Subject: being in bed

             Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:56:53 +0100
             From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk>

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
    > Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 06:53:20 +0100
    > From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James J. O'Donnell)
    > >

    > Gazing upon the stack that threatens to topple over and crush me in my
    > sleep, I wonder when the practice of reading in bed became commonplace.

    Somewhere along the academic road I picked up the notion that Descartes
    spent his scholarly life in bed, doing both his reading and writing there.

    The technologies for non-electric illumination are simple, effective, and
    very ancient. And still in wide use. Oil lamps, gas lamps, candles,
    torches, etc.

    Best,
    Dominik