15.220 Internet censorship in Korea

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 02:08:32 EDT

             Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 06:47:34 +0100
             From: Brother Anthony <anthony@ccs.sogang.ac.kr>
             Subject: [Fwd: PROTEST BLOCKAGE OF GAY INTERNET SITES IN REPUBLIC
    OF KOREA]

    Willard,
    It does seem to me that this message received on the Korean Studies List
    addresses a matter of serious concern to us all in terms of the right to
    free access and free expression on the Internet.
    Brother Anthony
    Sogang Univeristy, Seoul, Korea

    [For reflection on the kind of thing that follows, I can do no better at
    the moment than to point again to Charles Ess and Fay Sudweeks, eds.,
    Culture, Technology, Communication: Towards an Intercultural Global Village
    (Albany: State University of New York Press, 2001), and to the CATaC
    conference series that these worthies oversee, with world-wide
    participation. (For the 1998 conference from which the book comes, see
    http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/~fay/catac/, for the 2000 conference see
    http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac00/.) Quite apart (and of
    course not at all apart) from the specific human activity addressed below,
    it seems obvious to me that communication is a very complex and difficult
    matter in the international, multicultural contexts that we now can reach
    so easily. Discussion of the problem here, once again, would be most
    welcome. --WM]

    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > EMERGENCY RESPONSE NETWORK
    > The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC)
    >
    > @@@@@@@@@@@ ACTION ALERT! @@@@@@@
    >
    > REPUBLIC OF KOREA:
    >
    > BIGOTRY AND CENSORSHIP MASQUERADE AS PROTECTION OF YOUTH:
    >
    > PROTEST BLOCKAGE OF GAY INTERNET SITES
    >
    > RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION
    > RIGHT TO FREEDOM FROM DISCRIMINATION
    >
    > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ SUMMARY
    >
    > The Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC) of the Republic
    > of Korea (South Korea) recently adopted an internet content rating
    > system classifying gay and lesbian websites as "harmful media" and
    > enforcing their blockage--all under the guise of protecting youth.
    >
    > The Ministry acted after an April 2001 decision by the Korean
    > Information and Communications Ethics Committee (ICEC)--an officially
    > independent body with wide censorship powers--which classified
    > homosexuality under the category of "obscenity and perversion" in its
    > "Criteria for Indecent Internet Sites." Activists in Korea trace the
    > roots of this definition to a 1997 law which classifies descriptions
    > of "homosexual love" as "harmful to youth." Since the MIC accepted
    > this classification in July, access to gay and lesbian websites
    > throughout Korea has been effectively blocked.
    >
    > The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission joins the
    > Lesbian and Gay Alliance Against Discrimination in Korea (LGAAD), a
    > coalition of over twenty lesbian and gay rights organizations (as
    > well as website masters), in calling for URGENT letters of protest to
    > end this internet censorship, revise the repressive 1997 law, and
    > protect freedom of expression in Korea.

    [material deleted]