15.214 TACT help

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 01:34:19 EDT

             Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:27:42 +0100
             From: John Bradley <john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: Re: 15.203 TACT help?

    A few days ago Tim Reuter posted a query (below) to
    HUMANIST about how to read texts with accented characters
    created in Windows into TACT. I have sent him a simple solution
    which allows TACT to read and write windows-compatible files
    directly which I'd be glad to share with anyone else who is
    using TACT these days.

    Might I take this opportunity to remark that there is a TACT-L list
    now at lists.village.virginia.edu (formally hosted by U of Toronto).
    Mind you, I'm no longer sure that the list is terribly useful
    (!) -- there have been no posting to it for a long time -- but
    it would be a place to post questions of this kind, and I'm sure
    that anyone now looking for the TACT-L list to join will not
    know where it has gone, since U of Toronto was unable to provide
    a mechanism to tell people who try to subscribe to TACT-L at U
    of T that the list had moved elsewhere.

    To subscribe to tact-l,
    send the message: subscribe tact-l
    to: majordomo@lists.village.virginia.edu

    send your post to: tact-l@lists.village.virginia.edu

    To unsubscribe from tact-l,
    send the message: unsubscribe tact-l
    to: majordomo@lists.village.virginia.edu

    Regards. .. john bradley

    > I've started to use TACT to create a database using multiple European
    > languages; but the most comfortable way to create the input involves
    creating
    > ANSI-character-coded files, and TACT is still in the world of IBMPC
    extended
    > ASCII. Unfortunately I've lost my TACT manual in my numerous moves in
    recent
    > years; I know that I can deal with this by manipulating the XLATTABL files,
    > but have forgotten which is which and what the syntax is. If anyone has
    > solved ANSI-input/ASCII-output and has appropriately modified tables I'd be
    > grateful if s/he could send me them as an attachment -- or if there is a
    > TACTxpert out there who could give me a quick couple of screenfuls I'd also
    > be grateful.
    >
    > Tim Reuter

    John Bradley
    john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk