15.197 curriculum & admin

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 03:53:11 EDT

             Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:45:12 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Curriculum & Administration

    Willard,

    I want to propose a shift in the top-down discourse that marks Mel's
    postings and suggest that the relation in-out be explored (which some
    clever wag might convert into a before and after).

    Should administrative skills be part of training in humanities computing?
    After all, most graduates will _not_ be employed in the academy itself and
    those that are employed in the academy may have to carry significant
    administrative responsibilities. And just where would the case studies for
    such training come from?

    What place should preparation for research, preparation for teaching and
    preparation for administration hold in the humanities computing programs
    that are emerging?

    I ask because "administration" can encompass activities that range from
    governance to clerking. I also ask because a goodly portion of academic
    torch-passing involves role-modeling and mentoring -- and a humanist no
    matter be they located at the top or bottom, the inside or the outside,
    is expected to act with a historical sensitivity to the before and after,
    much like an administrator/manager.

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/ivt.htm