15.163 annotation

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 04:16:13 EDT

       [1] From: "Jamel Ostwald" <ostwald.1@osu.edu> (107)
             Subject: RE: 15.161 annotation

       [2] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (20)

       [3] From: "Patrik Svensson" (80)
                     <patrik.svensson@engelska.umu.se>

             Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:40:58 +0100
             From: "Jamel Ostwald" <ostwald.1@osu.edu>

    I recently joined the Humanist listserv in the hope of finding just such
    a topic on note-taking ideas as mentioned in Humanist 15.161, and I'm
    glad to see I've been so quickly accommodated!
    Personal intro: I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in Early Modern European
    History at Ohio State University, and am using computers for a
    note-taking database, my website with an infant Early Modern Military
    History Website for scholarly collaboration, Minitab for my quantitative
    research on 17th-18th century siege warfare, AutoCAD for maps (hoping to
    get ArcView when I'm rich), and in the future Flash for animated maps.

    Over the past several years I have developed my own note-taking database
    (based in MS Access) and I thought I would comment on a few of the
    issues raised thus far, from my neophyte perspective (new both to
    humanities computing and the academic world). For a longer exposition of
    my database, its design and features, see Research at
    www.ostwald.hispeed.com . It falls on the "most detailed" end of the
    spectrum.

    I was never raised on notecards (although I did do 3 years of high
    school debate with notecards, when I could never find exactly what I
    needed), but from what I understand of it, a well-designed computerized
    database system is much better in many respects. The focus of my
    database thus far has been for note-taking on primary sources (original
    docs) rather than on secondary sources, which are a slightly different
    animal, but I have found my system quite flexible thus far. In fact I'm
    convinced that a well-designed system is much more flexible than any
    notecard system could ever be.

    -Data entry: I have 50+ volumes of published primary sources which I am
    slowly OCRing (an hour a day over several years...), then I have to edit
    the recognized text (using Abbyy's FineReader, averaging perhaps a
    couple errors per page) and then transfer them into Access. Editing and
    transferring requires the largest amount of time, but it's still much
    faster than trying to enter in 1000's of pages manually or the other
    option of summarizing documents and missing things. I'm hoping to get
    other like-minded scholars to submit their digitized sources on early
    modern European military history up on my EMWWeb website. And when we
    exchange sources with our colleagues, I can give them full quotes while
    I'm stuck with vague paraphrases.

    -My "research space" is either archives, rare book collections or the
    home/office, so I personally don't use a Palm but portability is
    definitely critical. My laptop allows me to use the rather large Access
    db I have: 17,000 records or primary documents, 6,000 secondary records
    slowly being transferred in from EndNote, several lookup tables with
    hundreds of personalities, towns, etc. The laptop allows me to consult
    all these wherever I am (less conveniently in mass transit it must be
    admitted), making all of my notes available wherever I go - conference,
    work, class, library, etc.

    -On the matter of transcribing vs. summarizing, when time allows I'd
    think it would always be preferable to copy docs verbatim rather than
    just summarize. I'm fortunate to have lots of sources already published
    and therefore easily OCRed; in contrast, the context from my earliest
    archive notes (paraphrases only) are woefully vague now that I'm trying
    to write up my chapters. The choice between transcribing and summarizing
    doesn't have to be made however, since you can easily create a field in
    a note-taking database where you can transcribe the source verbatim,
    make another field which allows you to summarize the contents of the
    transcription field as briefly or exhaustively as you wish, and have a
    third field to jot down your impressions/comments on the doc as well.
    Then of course you can make as many (abstract) keyword fields as you
    wish.

    -Searchability: It's almost impossible that even the best notecard
    system could be more flexible or powerful than a well-designed database.
    With my database setup, I can sort by any combination of a dozen
    topical/keyword fields and a couple dozen bibliographic (meta-data)
    fields, using wildcards, mathematical operators (<,>) and even Boolean
    operators when needed, with searches taking a matter of seconds. I can't
    imagine how you could even fit that many fields onto a 3x5 (or even
    8x12) notecard, much less sort by multiple fields, not to mention doing
    searches for text strings within the text of documents. For example, I
    found all the documents (50 or so, out of 15,000) with the town
    "Maubeuge" anywhere in the text and sorted them by date and then author
    in less than 30 seconds - how in the world can you do that with
    notecards?

    -Flexibility: With a database that you can design and modify yourself
    (rather than most commercially packaged ones), you can also create new
    entry forms as the need arises - a semi-structured source type can be
    turned into a form of just a few fields very quickly, with lookup tables
    to further speed up data entry.

    -As for digital vs. paper, the choice is a false dichotomy, since you
    can always print off your digital docs as often as you want, in far more
    formats far more easily than recopying notecards. I've made a dozen or
    more reports that will search through all the records and pull all the
    records meeting my specific criteria and then print on paper only the
    fields I choose. This is simple to do if you have created the system
    yourself, so the toughest thing about printing off 3x5 slips of paper
    for me would be limiting myself to the few fields that would fit in a
    3x5 area. You can also paste your transcriptions or summaries over to a
    Word document when you want to quote it, as well as pasting the
    bibliographic info into the corresponding footnote.
    I have multiple copies of my digital database in several various
    locations, including several versions at different stages of the design
    process, whereas the paper photocopies from the archives not yet entered
    in are still sitting in my filing cabinets. I need to work out a
    priority system in case there's a fire for my paper notes.
    As for the paper-wielding scholar's advantage when the lights out,
    unless you've got a flashlight, nobody's going to get any work done, and
    that's what batteries in the laptop/Palm are for - or you could always
    carry around a few copies of a blank form from your database printed
    off. At worst, an out-of-service computer means you're back at the same
    level as the other papyrus-users, you'll miss the machine pretty
    quickly!

    I'd appreciate any recommendations or comments anybody might have on my
    database, particularly if there are important features that are missing.

    Jamel Ostwald
    ostwald.1@osu.edu
    ostwald@copper.net
    www.ostwald.hispeed.com
    EMWWeb: A new website for scholarly collaboration in all topics on Early
    Modern military history, at
    http://www.ostwald.hispeed.com/EMWWeb/EMWebFrame.htm