15.118 library-created or library-related Knowledge Bases?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 03:04:15 EDT

             Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:52:00 +0100
             From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
             Subject: _KBL(sm): A Registry of Library Knowledge Bases_

               _KBL(sm): A Registry of Library Knowledge Bases_

           For a new registry, I am greatly interested in identifying
    library-created or library -related Knowledge Bases. A Knowledge Base /
    Knowledgebase may be defined viewed as a database with a focus on empirical
    or practical knowledge. In recent years, Knowledge bases have become common
    components for many businesses and services. The RealNetworks "RealSystem
    Knowledge Base"

                       [ http://service.real.com/kb/ ]

    is an excellent example of a technical support knowledge base.

           I am interested in library-created OR library-related Knowledge Bases.

    An excellent example of a library-created knowledge base is "VID Knowledge
    Base 2000-2001" for the Virtual Information Desk of the Pennsylvania
    Inter-Library Online Library (PILOT)

                       [ http://157.62.21.5/vid/vid-kb.asp ]
    AND

    The Collaborative Digital Library, "a database of annotated resources
    indexed by research group, title, url, keywords, and comments that serves
    as a virtual bookmark file for teams of researchers working asynchronously
    and remotely on projects.

               [ http://www.kie.berkeley.edu/cool_library/library_home.html ]
               [ http://www.kie.berkeley.edu/cool_library/library_search.html ]

    AND

    Perhaps the most sophisticated Knowledge Base is that planned as part of the
    OPAL Project, "an eighteen month research project which is exploring the
    development of a fully automated online 24/7 reference service for
    students." [BTW: OPAL = Online Personal Academic Librarian]

                   [ http://oulib1.open.ac.uk/wh/research/opal/ ].

    "The project team is currently developing and testing a prototype automated
    reference system designed to answer common questions from OU distance
    learners."

        [ http://oulib1.open.ac.uk/wh/research/opal/intro.html ]

    SEE ALSO:

    "The OPAL Project: Developing An Automated Online Reference System For
    Distance Learners" in the June 2001 issue of D-Lib Magazine.

          [ http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june01/06inbrief.html ]

        Examples of library-related Knowledge Base could/would include:

    The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews

          [ http://www.update-software.com/cochrane/product-cochrane.html ]

    "Cochrane Reviews are full text articles reviewing the effects of
    healthcare. The reviews are highly structured and systematic, with evidence
    included or excluded on the basis of explicit quality criteria, to minimise
    bias."

    AND

    The AEGIS Clinical Trials Knowledgebase

               [ http://www.aegis.com/pubs/trials/index.html ]

    Perhaps the sophisticated Knowledge Base, I've discovered are those offered
    by Proteome, which provides "a variety of products and services to integrate
    the accumulated knowledge from the research literature with genomic
    information and software tools to produce a powerful resource for
    bioinformatic scientists and biologists of all disciplines."

                       [ http://www.proteome.com/ ]

    [The Proteome knowledge bases are built upon the review, extraction, and
    synthesis of information and data from peer-reviewed journals] [WOW!]

         Over the coming weeks, I will be adding these and other Library Knowledge
    Bases to a new Web-based registry titled:

                       KBL(sm): A Registry of Library Knowledge Bases

                     [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/KBL.htm ]

       As Always, I Welcome Any and All contributions, queries, comments,
    nominations, Cosmic Insights, Etc. Etc. Etc. [I am NOT interested in
    corporate Knowledge Bases per se]

    Articles, reports, studies, school papers or projects regarding Library
    Knowledge Bases are also of major interest for a planned General
    Bibliography [I am NOT interested in literature about Knowledge Bases per
    se]

    Gerry McKiernan
    The Basic, Knowledgeable Librarian
    Iowa State Library