15.105 new book; U.S. vote on cultural funding

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 01:56:11 EDT

       [1] From: Charles Ess <cmess@lib.drury.edu> (39)
             Subject: new book on culture & communication

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (119)
             Subject: House Prepares Floor Vote on Cultural Funding

             Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 06:48:48 +0100
             From: Charles Ess <cmess@lib.drury.edu>

    [The following is forwarded from Charles Ess, with thanks. --WM]

    Charles Ess, ed., with Fay Sudweeks, Foreword by Susan Herring. _Culture,
    Technology, Communication: towards an Intercultural Global Village_.
    Albany, NY: SUNY Press.

    Table of contents:

    I.
    Steve Jones, Micropolis and Compunity
    Barbara Becker, Joseph Wehner, Electronic Media and Civil Society
    Carleen Maitland, Johannes Bauer, Global Diffusion of Interactive Networks:
    the Impact of Culture

    II. Theory/Praxis
    a. Europe
    Herbert Hrachovec, New Kids on the Net
    Lucienne Rey, Attitudes towards Technology and Communication across the
    Multiple Cultures of Switzerland

    b. Gender/Gender and Muslim World
    Concetta Stewart, Stella F. Shields, Nandini Sen, Diversity in On-Line
    Discussions: a Study of Cultural and Gender Differences in Listservs
    Deborah Wheeler, Women, Islam, and the Internet: Findings in Kuwait

    c. East-West/East
    Lorna Heaton, Preserving Communication Context: Virtual Workspace and
    Interpersonal Space in Japanese CSCW
    Sunny Yoon, Discourse about the Internet and the Habitus of Young Koreans
    Robert Fouser, "Culture," Computer Literacy, and the Media in Creating
    Public Attitudes toward CMC in Japan and Korea

    III. Case Studies: Obstacles to and Models for "Culturally Mediated
    Computing"
    Ken Keniston, Language, Power, and Software
    Soraj Hongladarom, Global Culture, Local Cultures, and the Internet: the
    Thai Example

    [material deleted]

    Charles Ess
    Director, Center for Interdisciplinary Studies
    Drury University
    900 N. Benton Ave. Voice: 417-873-7230
    Springfield, MO 65802 USA FAX: 417-873-7435
    Home page: http://www.drury.edu/Departments/phil-relg/ess.html
    Co-chair, CATaC 2000: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac00/
    "...to be non-violent, we must not wish for anything on this earth which the
    meanest and lowest of human beings cannot have." -- Gandhi