15.083 good list-serving software

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 04:24:07 EDT

             Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:18:35 +0100
             From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>
             Subject: Re: 15.062 good list-serving software?

    At 7:17 +0100 30/5/2001, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
    >Listserv, listproc, majordomo: each has significant weaknesses. Is there
    >anything good out there, freeware or commercial, that lets you manage a
    >large interactive list like Humanist? Features would have to include
    >open subscription/unsubscription, option for completely open list,
    >moderated list, or owner-only-posts list. Am I alone in feeling that
    >we're still living with 80s technology here?

    i use letterrip pro (macintosh only) and i currently run 80 or so lists, 10
    of these for state or national cultural organisations. one crash in nearly
    5 years. fast but probably only scalable to lists of up to 4 or 5,000 members.

    takes me on average 3 minutes to set up a list and has all the above
    features. but the product appears to have had little development the last 2
    years so i suspect is one of those wonderful things that work but has
    become superseded by silly proprietary systems that corporations use.

    http://www.fogcity.com is the url. very elegant.

    cheers
    adrian miles

    --