15.070 OCR on hand-printed texts

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 02:56:03 EDT

       [1] From: pmidgley <pmidgley@ualberta.ca> (11)
             Subject: RE: 15.061 OCR on hand-printed texts

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (13)
             Subject: Richard Weyhrauch

             Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 07:47:50 +0100
             From: pmidgley <pmidgley@ualberta.ca>

    I have a similar problem to that of Michael John Gorman: I am looking for OCR
    software that will recognize old manuscripts that contain large sections of
    Greek. The manuscripts not hand-written--they have been typeset, but the fonts
    and letter shapes used by the early typesetters do not always correspond to
    modern typesetting characters. Consequently, existing OCR software has trouble
    recognising many of the characters.

    I suspect that Michael's problem is similar to mine, in that he, too is
    dealing with early typeset material (not hand-written) that is not recognised
    by computer software. (I hope I understand you correctly, Michael.)

    If there are any suggestions, I'd welcome them.

    Peter Midgley