15.056 obstacles &c to humanities computing

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 02:16:57 EDT

       [1] From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni- (54)
                     muenchen.de>
             Subject: Re: 15.055 obstacles, apprenticeship, service and fun

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (43)
             Subject: service

             Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:59:14 +0100
             From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>

    > From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>

    > I'm always amused and sometimes a bit angry at the same time whenever I
    > see lists of "what a Humanities Computing Person should know". They are
    > so time-bound and changeable

    that applies to all scientific knowledge, but is no reason not to have
    standards for a particular point in time

    > There is no standard curriculum or agreed upon set of information (or
    > even worse "behaviors") for a Ph.D. in English, and if we're lucky,
    > there never will be.

    Is this really true? I believe the test is not, what should the person
    know, but rather: Imagine talking to somebody having a Ph.D. in
    English. What kind of ignorance would surprise you? p.e.
    "Shakespeare who?" or: "I collect the relevant literature for my
    topic by asking my bookseller" or: "I wrote down what I felt when I
    read this poem and believe this to be a valuable contribution to
    literary criticism"

    > I hope the same is true for "humanities
    > computing"....do what you need to do, or what you're curious about, and
    > ignore the folks who are trying to tell you what's important.

    If we want to change the status of humanities computing from an
    ad hoc tool to something like a subject by its own, it is necessary
    to think about what should be included.

    here is my wish list:

    1. Be able to use electronic text,
    that implies a thorough understanding of:
    a) character encodings and the basic principles of markup
    languages
    b) xml as the most important m.l.
    c) different search techniques (String, boolean, tree context, ..)
    d) the basic notions of statistic

    2. Be able to manipulate electronic texts
    a) some scripting language which supports regular expressions
    b) Regular expressions
    c) a transformation language like xslt

    3. Be able to create electronic text
    they should have a good knowledge of
    a) the actual standards of electronic editions; what has been
    released in the last 2-3 years, how does it work and what does it
    look like
    b) some authoring tool for xml
    c) standards like unicode and tiff, especially where are the limits
    and problems
    d) basic design principles for human computer interfaces,
    especially of the problems how to create useful links
    e) the digitization process at least for text and images

    4. Be able to understand the main changes of the new media as
    part of the history of media
    a) some hypertext theory
    b) some media theory and history
    c) knowledge of new forms of art in the new media like hyperfiction
    and computergames

    Fotis Jannidis

    Forum Computerphilologie
    http://computerphilologie.uni-muenchen.de