15.049 fsconcordance available

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 01:38:37 EDT

             Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:33:22 +0100
             From: Jack Lynch <jlynch@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
             Subject: Re: 15.046 fsconcordance? "Internet researcher"?

    Kirk Lowery writes:

          Apparently, the UPenn server no longer has Meng Weng
          Wong's Perl concordancer "fsconcordance.pl". I've looked
          *everywhere*.

          If someone could send me a copy, or point me to a working
          URL, I'd be grateful.

    I saved a copy when I worked with Meng, and have just put it
    on-line. There are two files, and to be honest I can't recall
    the difference between the two versions. One is considerably
    longer than the other, so perhaps it represents a later stage of
    development. I was just able to get the shorter one, fsc.pl, to
    work, but fsc refused to cooperate -- but then, I put little time
    into it.

    In any case:

            http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/fsc
            http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/fsc.pl

    For those who don't know it, fsconcordance was written by Meng
    Weng Wong (then an undergraduate) in '94 or '95. It takes a text
    file and generates an HTML file from it, with each word marked
    with a <a name=""> tag. It then creates a series of HTML
    concordances: one for each word, then one for each two-word
    phrase, another for each three-word phrase, and so on; the
    concordances are hyperlinked to the complete text, so you can
    jump to the place each phrase appears. It can also work on more
    than one text file at once, allowing you to spot shared
    collocations in several files. Very handy.