15.032 new online: EU programme; archiving; report on folk heritage

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 01:37:06 EDT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (49)
             Subject: New list on the EU's Information Society Technologies
                     Program

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (34)
             Subject: New Website To Help Archive Independent Media: IMAP

       [3] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (52)
             Subject: Folk Heritage Collections in Crisis: Symposium Report

             Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:22:11 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: New list on the EU's Information Society Technologies Program

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    May 17, 2001

           New Discussion list on the European Union's Cultural Heritage &
    Information Technologies Program
         <http://www.cordis.lu/ist/ka3/digicult/home.html>http://www.cordis.lu/ist/ka3/digicult/home.html

    >From: DIGICULT@cec.eu.int >heritage area - CULTIVATE-list
    >Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:40:45 +0200
    Working for the museums, archives or libraries sector? Want to know more
    about the EU's Information Society Technologies Programme?

    cultivate-list is an email discussion list for anyone in the cultural
    heritage sector interested in the information society technologies and
    the Commission's initiatives and programmes. If you need details of calls
    for proposals, if you are looking for partners, if you just want to find
    out about IST projects - this list is for you.

    To join cultivate-list, just send an email to:

    majordomo@ukoln.ac.uk

    with this text in the body of the message:
    subscribe cultivate-list [your email address]

    cultivate-list is a service of the European Commission's CULTIVATE
    action. It is establishing a European Cultural Heritage
    Network with partners in 12 European countries. It is continuing the
    successful and fruitful work done by the National Focal Points under the
    Telematics for Libraries Programme, and is expanding this to include all
    memory institutions, namely museums, archives and libraries.

    For further information you can contact:

    Rosalind Johnson
    European Consultant
    The Library Assocation
    rosalind.johnson@jiscmail.ac.uk

    European Commission
    DG Information Society, Cultural Heritage Applications
    rue Alcide de Gasperi
    L-2920 Luxembourg
    <digicult@cec.eu.int>

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.

             Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:23:54 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    May 17, 2001

                     New Website To Help Archive Independent Media
                 Cataloging A Key Component of Preservation Initiative
                       Independent Media Arts Preservation (IMAP)
                             <http://www.imappreserve.org>http://www.imappreserve.org

    >From: Jennifer Hodgeman <jhodgeman@nla.gov.au>
    >To: "'padiforum-l@nla.gov.au'" <padiforum-l@nla.gov.au>
    >>Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:18:06 +1000
    >
    >[Posted to Padiforum-l from AMIA-L ]

    PLEASE CIRCULATE

    Contact: Jim Hubbard, 212-865-1499, jimhub@earthlink.net
    Mona Jimenez, 718-284-7864, info@imappreserve.org

    IMAP LAUNCHES WEB SITE TO ARCHIVE INDEPENDENT MEDIA
    www.imappreserve.org

    Do you have a historic media collection that's gathering dust? Independent
    Media Arts Preservation (IMAP) has launched its new web site,
    www.imappreserve.org to help independent producers and arts and cultural
    organizations catalog their media works. Dedicated to the preservation of
    independent electronic media, IMAP is concerned that the history of
    non-commercial production is being lost, ranging from video art, audio art,
    and technology-based installation art to independent documentary and
    narratives, community media, and documentation of arts and culture.

    The web site features an easy-to-use, standardized template for cataloging
    video or film collections as part of IMAP's Cataloging Project. The
    template is designed specifically for independent producers and non-profit
    organizations who have little experience with cataloging, but is useful for
    any archive with media holdings. In addition to the template, the web site
    provides sample cataloging entries, template instructions and preservation
    information. Users of the template may also access technical assistance via
    email.

    [material deleted]

             Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:24:39 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    May 18, 2001

                            Folk Heritage Collections in Crisis:
                                     Symposium Website
                             <http://www.loc.gov/folklife/fhcc/>http://www.loc.gov/folklife/fhcc/

             New Report from the Council on Library & Information Resources
                    <http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub96abst.html>http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub96abst.html

                                     Recommendations
                  <http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub96/conclusion.html>http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub96/conclusion.html

    A report on an important symposium on the future of folklife collections is
    now available as a publication of the Council on Library & Information
    Resources. Material is also available on the symposium's website, hosted by
    the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.

    David Green
    ===========

    >Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:14:31 -0700
    >From: Kathlin Smith <ksmith@CLIR.ORG>

    <<clip>>

    >Large portions of unpublished sound recordings from the twentieth century
    >may be lost to future use if immediate steps are not taken to save them. A
    >new report from CLIR, entitled "Folk Heritage Collections in Crisis"
    ><http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub96abst.html>http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub96abst.html

    >presents a list of 27 recommendations for access, preservation, and rights
    >management. The report is based on a meeting convened by The American
    >Folklore Society and the American Folklife Center at the Library of
    >Congress in December 2000, with support from CLIR, National Endowment for
    >the Arts, and National Endowment for the Humanities.

    <<clip>>