15.026 common markup format

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 01:32:18 EDT

             Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:20:16 +0100
             From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>
             Subject: Designing a Common Format for Many Visions...

    Willard,

    Just a quick note on a new collaborative effort between the American
    Bible Society and the Society of Biblical Literature to create a common
    markup format for biblical and related materials. Working groups are
    already forming and the entire effort is being headed by Steve DeRose
    (TEI North American Editor, Chief Research Scientist, Brown University,
    and editor of too many W3C standards to list). Please visit
    www.bibletechnologies.net for further information.

    Designing a Common Format for Many Visions...

    The Society of Biblical Literature and the American Bible Society
    jointly hosted the Bible Technologies Conference to explore the
    formation of a group to address the need for common markup standards for
    biblical and related materials. The goal of the conference and working
    group is to develop markup standards that will empower users, publishers
    and software vendors around the
    world to use XML in their study and publication of and development of
    software for biblical and related texts.

    The participants in this process have many different agendas, missions
    and interests, all of which would be served by a common markup standard.
    What we share in common is an interest in biblical texts and related
    materials, each from their own perspective. This effort does not seek to
    promote any particular agenda, mission or interest, but leaves that to
    the good offices of its participants, relying upon the results of our
    common effort together.

    The need for organization in any such effort is a fact of life in our
    increasingly complex society. Due to the diversity of interests
    represented at the conference and our varying experience with the
    process of developing standards, the BTG will be using an adaptation of
    the OASIS Technical Committee policy to guide its work until the next
    meeting. This is a "trial-run" or "goodness of fit" period will help the
    group decide on the strengths or weakness of that process and guide its
    choice of a more permanent structure. It also allows us to decide on
    work items to pursue during this interim period to test the process set
    forth.

    For the full text of the release see:
    http://www.sbl-site.org/Newsletter/05_2001/CommonFormat.htm

    For additional information, please contact:
    Patrick Durusau of SBL at: pdurusau@emory.edu (404) 727-2337
    or John Walter of ABSinteractive at: jwalter@absinteractive.com (703)
    621-2000

    or go to: www.bibletechnologies.net