15.015 old into new

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 02:21:16 EDT

             Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:45:53 +0100
             From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>
             Subject: Re: 15.008 old into new: how?

    At 7:40 +0100 9/5/2001, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
    >I would be most grateful for pointers to articles and books on software
    >design that focus on analysis of pre-existing artefacts. A very fine
    >example of this is Darrell R. Raymond and Frank Wm. Tompa. 1988.
    >"Hypertext and the Oxford English Dictionary", Communications of the ACM
    >37.7 (1988): 871-9. This of course is focused on a particular artefact but
    >makes broader statements about the process, e.g. about getting at
    >knowledge implicit in the object by considering how that object is used.
    >As I recall the authors do not deal with tacit knowledge as such. I'd be
    >grateful to know how designers deal with that kind.

    not sure if it is what you're asking for but something that springs to mind
    here is Cathy Marshall's work on reader's 'real' annotation practices to
    develop a software product that does something similar:

    Marshall, Catherine C. "Toward an Ecology of Hypertext Annotation."
    Proceedings of the Ninth Acm Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia: Links,
    Objects Time and Space - Structure in Hypermedia Systems. Eds. Frank
    Shipman, Elli Mylonas and Kaj Groenback. Pittsburgh: ACM, 1998. 40-49.

    this is available via the ACM digital library but if you're not a member
    let me know and I'll send the pdf (which is legal under the ACM's copyright
    notice).

    cheers
    adrian miles

    --