14.0789 Asian text processing

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 06:05:58 EDT

         Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:01:48 +0100
         From: Michael Watson <watson@k.meijigakuin.ac.jp>
         Subject: Re: 14.0787 Asian text processing

Wallace Johnson asks about other efforts in the field of the study of texts
written in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

Perhaps the most significant achievement to date has been the project(s)
organized by Charles Muller at Toyo Gakuen University in Japan. A very large
CJK corpus in Unicode can now be searched using XML.

Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller

Two other people in the field known to me are MORO Shigeki (Ph.D. candidate
at Toyo University) working on Buddhist CJK canonical texts.
http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/i/moro
and IYANAGA Nobumi (Otani University), also working on Buddhist material and
a great source of technical advice
http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~n-iyanag/

Those studying premodern Japanese studies have a keen interest in problems
of CJK text processing. The database of the members of the "pmjs" mailing
list may be of interest.
http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~pmjs/pmjs-db.html
As our selective archive show, we have had several long threads concerning
Japanese text processing, electronic resources and the like.
http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~pmjs/archive.html

Michael Watson <watson@k.meijigakuin.ac.jp>
Meiji Gakuin University, Yokohama, Japan
pmjs mailing list and web resources:
http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~pmjs