14.0751 digitisation project? method?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 02:20:51 EST

       [1] From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk> (25)
             Subject: Memory lane: early digitisation project

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (57)
             Subject: two questions on method

             Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 06:43:50 +0000
             From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk>

    Dear Humanists

    I wonder if you can help me track down one of the relatively early projects
    in the digitisation/retrieval of images:
    In the early 1990s I heard a paper in a seminar series at Jesus College
    Oxford. I think the speaker came from London and was discussing a database
    made from scanning a collection of several thousand b/w photos of fine art
    paintings. One of the interesting claims was that by reducing the image to
    a very small grid (?? 8*8 ??) you could search for similiar grids and get
    work by the same artist...

    I can remember no more. As far as I can tell it was neither the Kings
    College, Daidalos Project nor the Courtauld Vasari project.

    Any suggestions as to candidate pioneers gratefully recieved
    best wishes
    david

    Dr David Zeitlyn,
    Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology,
    Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing,
    Department of Anthropology,
    Eliot College, The University of Kent,
    Canterbury,
    CT2 7NS, UK.