14.0724 this too shall pass, the future of hope

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 02:43:34 EST

       [1] From: "Hope A. Greenberg" <hag@zoo.uvm.edu> (23)
             Subject: Re: 14.0711 Gutenberg -> XML; Ess, "We are the Borg"

       [2] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni- (51)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: The NEH Symposium on _The Future of Hope, End of
                     Utopia II_

             Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 07:36:58 +0000
             From: "Hope A. Greenberg" <hag@zoo.uvm.edu>

    Francois Lachance quoted then wrote:
    > > What better way is there to leave a gift to future generations than to
    > > mark up documents in XHTML or XML, and who is better to do this than
    > > members of the worlds largest organization of 'markup professionals',
    > > namely ourselves.
    >
    > This development raises for me a question: what is to be the relation of
    > the academy to the extra muros "amateur" (there being apparently few
    > "amateurs" left within its walls), let alone to the extra muros
    > "professional"?

    In my more depressed moments I wonder: if the majority of the academy
    chooses to abdicate its responsibility by not embracing the challenges
    posed by the digital, what possible right can it have to complain about
    those who do? To invoke the ad campaign for that late 20th century icon,
    Lee Iococco, the number of leaders and followers is far smaller than the
    number who just want to "get out of the way." It's sad to get run over by
    a lousy Chrysler mini-van when what we wanted to do was build and drive
    something elegant, powerful and energy efficient.

    Perhaps there is comfort in the knowledge that "this too shall pass" and
    that the web is a big place with room for lots of mistakes and much
    beauty.

    - Hope.Greenberg@uvm.edu, U of Vermont (enjoying 14 inches of snow with
    more coming)