14.0714 e-publishing: new model, article on it; AOL & Time-Warner

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 15:41:52 EST

       [1] From: Scott Jaschik <Scott.Jaschik@CHRONICLE.COM> (21)
             Subject: online discussion on new model for journal publishing

       [2] From: scaife@pop.uky.edu (196)
             Subject: [STOA] A Revolutionary Idea in Publishing

       [3] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (59)
             Subject: Re: 14.0709 on the Net & AOL Time Warner

             Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:28:11 +0000
             From: Scott Jaschik <Scott.Jaschik@CHRONICLE.COM>

    The Chronicle of Higher Education is sponsoring a live, online discussion
    with Manfredi La Manna, the founder of the Electronic Society for Social
    Scientists, about his plan to challenge the dominant model in the
    publishing of scholarly journals, on Wednesday, March 7, at noon U.S.
    Eastern time. Mr. La Manna, an economist at St. Andrews University in
    Scotland, argues that his model will make it possible for libraries to
    subscribe to scholarly journals at much lower prices than those charged by
    companies today. And at the same time, Mr. La Manna says that his model
    will allow authors and peer reviewers to be paid. While these plans are
    attracting considerable support from scholars, some of the major publishers
    of scholarly journals question the viability of the project and its
    assumptions. Mr. La Manna will respond to comments and questions about his
    organization's plans and the state of journal publishing in the chat.

    The Chronicle invites members of this list to read an article about his
    effort and to join the live discussion at:
    http://chronicle.com/colloquylive/2001/03/journal/chat.php3

    Advance questions are encouraged, and may be posted now. After the
    discussion is over, a transcript will be posted at that address.

    Scott Jaschik
    Editor
    The Chronicle of Higher Education