14.0705 automata

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 12:05:34 EST

       [1] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (9)
             Subject: Re: more than defecating ducks

       [2] From: Ambroise BARRAS <ambroise.barras@bluewin.ch> (7)
             Subject: Re: 14.0700 automata

       [3] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (24)

       [4] From: Steven Robinson <Robinsons@BrandonU.CA> (34)
             Subject: Vaucanson's Duck

             Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:41:08 +0000
             From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk>

    There's a classic work on Vaucanson and computers (and also on Buster
    Keaton, Samuel Beckett, Andy Warhol, the Royal Society, Wyndham Lewis,
    Alan Turing, Alexander Pope, and many other subjects): The
    Counterfeiters by Hugh Kenner, originally published in 1968. You may
    or may not agree with the ideas in the book (about satire and
    simulation and forgery and pretending to be something other than what
    you are: pretending to be human, for example) but it's unquestionably
    a wonderful museum full of fascinating exhibits.

    John Lavagnino