14.0678 function follows form, or not

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 03:02:29 EST

       [1] From: erose@Princeton.EDU (9)
             Subject: Re: 14.0676 function follows form?

       [2] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (88)

       [3] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (71)

             Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 07:54:45 +0000
             From: erose@Princeton.EDU

    I don't know know if it is the mediun. I too gave my undergraduate students a
    brief essay assignment and a number handed in straight narrative papers
    although I too had made the distinction between narrative and historical
    argument. [Two began "I did this..I found this.. I looked here.."] It may more
    to do with the expectations and practice of students than the medium [I'm not
    sure if those students attended the class on essay writing]. My course is very
    traditional (medieval Ireland and England) with traditional readings, although
    they did have the option of reviewing and comparing websites on various topics.

    [Do you have any recommendations where I can send my students on the web to
    learn more about argument per se?]