14.0655 e-publishing

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 01:54:44 EST

       [1] From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU> (57)
             Subject: A Most Remarkable SOM Index

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (72)
             Subject: Special Libraries Association Urge Settlement in
                     Tasini et al v. New York Times

             Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 06:48:38 +0000
             From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>

                             _A Remarkable SOM Index_

    (SOMs)

    [ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0101/0317.html] ,

    I received the response below that describes a Most Remarkable SOM Index
    that has been applied SOM to access the Medline database.
    The lead paragraph alone will no doubt entice you to consider the other
    applications of SOM. [It is reposted with the kind permission of Georgios
    Papadopoulos, the responder. The re-post is for informational purposes only
    and does not constitute an endorsement]

    [Over the coming weeks I will be identifying as many applications of SOM for
    the library and information venue and will list these in a planned new
    registry called: "SOM Like IT Hot! [:->] [Any candidates for this new
    registry will be most appreciated!]

        Regards,

    /Gerry McKiernan
    SOM-Time Librarian
    Iowa State University
    Ames IA 50011

                                    **************************

              Hi Gerry.

              At our company, we are trying to do something
          very similar to SOMs (but with a different interface)
          for Medline and other extremely large databases.
          The funny thing is that we run the process on the
          results of the queries (on the fly) and we have
          optimized performance to such a degree that
          Medline queries return faster than in normal
          Medline. Generally in under 2 seconds and sometimes
          only a few milliseconds. All of this on a PC
          running Linux.

          We utilize the concepts that human indexers put
          in their articles and we have also developed an
          effective automated indexer (currently working
          for Medline.)

          We call the project ConceptBrowser and the tool
          which will include knowledge management and
          collaboration components will be called ScienceLine.
          Go to our site and register to be informed when
          you can start using it during the beta period.

          So, your dream is definitely close to reality.
          We are also developing other technologies
          to correlate articles based on their references
          (backward and forward) and their usage.

          Keep an eye on us as we roll out these tools
          for the biotech and pharma institutions and
          if you would like to be more involved, let me know.
          We are doing a lot of these things out of our
          deep love with digital library technology and
          it is always nice to talk with people who are
          excited about the same things.

    -- Georgios Papadopoulos
    Atypon Systems voice: (408) 988-1240
    3312 Woodward Ave fax: (408) 988-1070
    Santa Clara, CA 95054 efax: (603) 761-5213
    http://www.atypon.com pcs: (650) 906-7516