14.0641 e-bouncer vs e-dictator

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 05:42:24 EST

             Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:39:17 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 14.0624 e-bouncer vs e-dictator

    Osher,

    Are you acquainted with Donna Haraway's
    Simians, cyborgs, and women: the reinvention of nature
    ?

    Or more specifically, given the cultural allusion you made recently,
    Eric Greene's Planet of the apes as American myth : race and politics in
    the films and television series
    ?

    Or
    Gorillas in the Mist
    ?

    I think Dan Price's anecdote helps elucidate the simple
    anthropological fact that audiences as much as participants are
    bound by rules of etiquette. I would venture to speculate that as more
    users have mastered the poise of the delete key and the ingenuity of the
    filter the general complaints about flame wars have declined (and will do
    so for any given group in the future -- unless the flaming spills over
    into spamming).

    Boasting contests, counting the dozens and flame wars are
    very much cybernetic systems that feed the fascination of participants and
    observers. Gregory Bateson collects many fine examples in Steps to an
    Ecology of Mind.

    The banishment techniques as a means of controlling behaviour can be
    resource intensive as Wizards on MOOs and MUDs can attest. To tell a
    persona that they will be liquidated can sometimes act as a goad -- it
    being a badge of honour to be booted out of the place and a source of
    pleasure to revisit incognito.

    The classic study on community policing in cyberspace remains for me
    Julian Dibbell's Village Voice article widely available online.
    http://www.hnet.uci.edu/mposter/syllabi/readings/rape.html
         "A Rape in Cyberspace or How an Evil Clown, a Haitian Trickster
         Spirit, Two Wizards, and a Cast of Dozens Turned a Database Into a
         Society"

    I understand from a look at the Humanist archive that Dibbell has
    published a book length study
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Humanist/v12/0481.html MY
    TINY LIFE: CRIME AND PASSION IN A VIRTUAL WORLD and that the ever diligent
    David L. Gants sent on the announcement of a review of the book from David
    Silver at The Resource Center for Cyberculture Studies
    http://otal.umd.edu/~rccs

    [How have I done in resisting the urge to engage in a massive offlist
    tirade against speciesism and throwing a banana peel your way?]

    Remember Sara, the language-learning chimpanzee?
    http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jel/SGMonKanzi.html
    Has any examined this literature and its intersection with natural
    language processing?

       --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
            http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance