14.0619 film scanners continued

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 02:08:39 EST

             Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:57:58 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: film scanners

    Thanks to Josephine Tarvers (Winthrop) and Emily Rose (Princeton) for
    Polaroid SprintScan, which I find is well regarded -- but far too expensive
    for our out-of-our-own-pockets budget, ca. US$2000. We do not want to spend
    any more than 200 pounds sterling, i.e. ca US$160 -- but I am prepared to
    be told I've been smoking too much of the stuff that dreams are made on.
    She also recommends PhotoShop for touching up afterwards &c. Indeed,
    PhotoShop is a beautiful piece of work, a gem and my treasured companion
    when playing with images. If only all software could be as well made.

    Dr Rose asks why we don't simply rephotograph the mss. Ideal, to be sure,
    but these are scattered through various European libraries, who do not
    easily hand over their treasures for such purposes; travelling to them,
    staying for the requisite amount of time, arranging for the equipment or
    photographer to do the work -- such expenses would make the Polaroid
    hardware seem a trivial expense indeed. Should we be properly funded to do
    the work, then, yes, rephotographing them seems certainly the way to go.
    Meanwhile the microfilms can be purchased with available funds, scanned
    somehow and the images used both to build a good prototype and to do
    further scholarly work of the oldfashioned kind.

    So, forgive me for asking again: is the Agfa e50 worth the price? Are there
    any decent film scanners for under 200 pounds sterling? Should I smoke
    something new?

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/