14.0618 e-bouncer vs e-dictator?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 02:06:22 EST

             Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:58:20 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: dealing with the ill-mannered

    Recently my advice on running discussion groups was sought by two
    list-owners who have been overwhelmed by the volume of ill-mannered
    contributions to their unmoderated lists. As a result of these
    vomitings-forth, ad hominem attacks etc, some of the learned people who
    actually wanted to discuss the ideas subsumed by the fields in question
    have left. So I was asked, what does one do? I could find no other answer
    than to moderate these lists. Is there any other answer short of suffering
    abusive messages then removing the individuals in question? (Note that
    having been ejected some of these characters appear simply to find other
    ISPs and resubscribe under different names. They are *very* determined.)

    Thanks.

    Yours,
    WM

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/