14.0595 teleprompto

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 01/15/01

             Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:58:08 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 14.0588 teleprompto

    Willard,

    It may well be that the old errors of transcription (sound to script)
    and errors of prononciation (script to sound) offer some multimedia
    ground for research in artificial intelligence. Consider that machines
    could subvocalize a verbal string in order to catch errors not usually
    caught by now currently standard spell-checkers. One of my favourites
    crossed my screen recently on a snowy winter day when a colleague no
    doubt dreaming of a spring thaw sent out a messge beginning with "May
    apologies". It foolws that voic recognition software may be improved by
    being coupled with grammar & spell checkers. Perhaps the folks involved
    in natural language processing might venture a comment or comet. ***>

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance