14.0590 cognitive effects of formatting

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 01/12/01

       [1]   From:    "Robert J. O'Hara" <rjohara@uncg.edu>               (27)
             Subject: Re: 14.0587 cognitive effects of formatting?

       [2]   From:    Mark Horney <mhorney@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>            (13)

       [3]   From:    Patricia Galloway <galloway@gslis.utexas.edu>        (3)

       [4]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (11)
             Subject: the KWIC in particular?

             Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:36:08 +0000
             From: "Robert J. O'Hara" <rjohara@uncg.edu>

      > I would be most grateful for a pointer to what Humanists consider the best
      > treatment of the relationship between how data is presented and how we
      > think about those data -- i.e. the cognitive, intellectual consequences of
      > formatting.

    Among the most important works on this subject are the beautiful volumes
    by Edward Tufte, most recently his _Visual Explanations_ (available from
    Amazon.com and other book dealers).  In addition to being excellent
    studies of data presentation, they are just luscious books to possess.
    One of the case studies in Visual Explanations examines the data that
    was used to decide whether or not to launch the ill-fated Challenger
    space shuttle.  The data submitted by the engineers to launch control
    contained all that was needed to show a launch would be dangerous, but
    the important bits were so confusingly organized and submerged that the
    launch went forward anyway.  Tufte rearranges the data in one simple
    graph that makes the danger strikingly obvious; if anyone had seen that
    graph the launch probably never would have taken place.  Even after the
    disaster, the engineering company presented more information that was
    still confusingly arranged and unclear; specifically, the data were
    arranged by launch date rather than temperature, which was the important
    variable.  I remember reading this case study alone in my office late
    one night, and when I got to that part I exclaimed aloud, "They didn't
    arrange the data by temperature???"

    Don't miss Tufte's books -- they are treasures.

    Bob O'Hara

    --
    Dr. Robert J. O'Hara (rjohara@post.harvard.edu - http://rjohara.net)
    Biology Department, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC 27402 USA