14.0565 biographastry?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/16/00

             Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:26:54 +0000
             From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James J. O'Donnell)
             Subject: biographastry

    I am looking for contemporary critical literature on the subject of
    biography-making.  I am not looking for advice on how to write a good one,
    but rather for critical reflection on the propensity for making them, the
    intellectual issues raised, the narratological patterns and history.  What
    I find is a large literature that rather enjoys biographies and likes
    thinking about them and thinks they are swell:  I find very little from
    people who are, as I am, made very nervous by them and wish to understand
    better why they are so popular and what that popularity means for our
    knowledge of the past.

    Jim O'Donnell
    Classics, U. of Penn
    jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu