14.0562 universities, Newman, Internet teaching

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/14/00

       [1]   From:    Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu>             (21)
             Subject: Newman and Internet teaching

       [2]   From:    lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)      (21)
             Subject: Re: 14.0558 universities, Newman, Internet teaching

       [3]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (22)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: [DistanceLearning] online discussion about teaching in
                     for-profit, distance education institutions

             Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:41:23 +0000
             From: Eric Johnson <johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu>

         My posting about Newman and Internet teaching seems to have hit a
    nerve.  I cannot reply to all of the points raised, but I would like to
    say the following.

         Starting in 1990, I have taught at least one course via Internet almost
    every year. All of my courses were about computing for the humanities --
    with a focus on text processing. Some of them were programming courses.
    Most of them have been graduate courses, but some have been upper-division
    undergraduate courses.  I have gained a good deal of satisfaction teaching
    these courses, as have most of my students.  My article "The World Wide
    Web, Computers, and Teaching Literature" is on the web:

    http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/webprof.html

    and it should be read by those interested in the subject of teaching via
    Internet.

         In any case, like some other teachers, I have felt significant
    frustration teaching online.  It seems to me that Newman has a good point
    in stressing that books (and other non face-to-face methods of teaching)
    can never have the same impact as a good teacher in a classroom with
    students.

         --Eric Johnson
           johnsone@jupiter.dsu.edu
           http://www.dsu.edu/~johnsone/