14.0497 the humanities?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/15/00

       [1]   From:    "Dr Donald J. Weinshank" <weinshan@cse.msu.edu>     (29)
             Subject: Re: 14.0492 now here's a question

       [2]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>               (6)
             Subject: humanism and humanists

             Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:15:45 +0000
             From: "Dr Donald J. Weinshank" <weinshan@cse.msu.edu>

    Dee McAree raises an interesting question to which
    I want to offer a non-conventional answer.

               Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:10:00 +0000
               From: Dee McAree <virtuallydee@yahoo.com>

    As a newbie to Humanist, my only question would be as
    to the definition of one. It would help me stay within
    the scope of pertinent contributions. I've searched
    several on-line dictionaries for an official reading,
    but came up blank. I would love a first-hand account
    of the philosophy or character that the word embodies
    from Humanists themselves. I'm still trying to
    determine if I am one.
    While it is true that we share an interest in the interface
    between computing and the Humanities, I would hold that
    we really are an "invisible college" in Boulding's sense.

        There is in the world today an invisible college of people
    in many different countries and many different cultures, who
    have a vision of the nature of the transition through which
    we are passing and who are determined to devote their lives
    to contributing towards its successful fulfillment.  It is
    a college without a founder and without a president, without
    buildings and without organization.  Its living representatives
    hold the future of the world in their hands or at least in
    their minds...Kenneth E. Boulding ,The meaning of the twentieth
    century; the great transition New York, Harper & Row [1964]