14.0486 XML, WWW, editions

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/10/00

       [1]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>              (64)
             Subject: Re: 14.0482 XML, WWW, editions

       [2]   From:    "David Halsted" <halstedd@tcimet.net>               (24)

             Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:49:31 +0000
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

    Willard,

    Replying to letters from John Bradley, David Halsted, Fotis Jannidis,
    Francois Lachance....

    I'd be surprised if Fotis and I are not in substantial agreement on the
    architectural questions, how we will see large editions (mega- or
    gigabytes) deployed on server vs. client. As for what ideas I have,
    actually I'd like to pass the ball back to John Bradley (and anyone else)
    to carry on that one, as they have more concrete ideas and hands-on experience.

    I agree with John that the web paradigm we have inherited, for better or
    worse, has tended to limit the options; for the kinds of things we want to
    do, even a university pipe may not be wide enough, to say nothing of those
    of us on 28.8. On the other hand, I also agree with John and David that
    various kinds of chunking/indexing/cross-indexing strategies are feasible,
    and will probably always be necessary in some cases. We will probably see
    the size of integrated resource collections (whether "editions" or not)
    grow along with available bandwidth, so the problem will never disappear
    even as the limits are pushed outwards. As to whether XML per se supports,
    or fails to support, such chunking (particularly if it is to be transparent
    to the user), I think it's safe to say it's neutral: a system could be
    designed either way (and either way might be appropriate in different
    circumstances). A key design issue here is the framing of metadata at
    various levels, and whatever "information inheritance" models are
    implemented to support the chunking while maintaining an integrated view
    (or: how are chunking and indexing to be best interrelated and managed?).

    In this context, for example, I think it's worthwhile to note that XSLT,
    the W3C transformation language supporting XML presentation, is designed
    specifically in order to support a kind of "random access" processing (my
    term, not a term of art for this to my knowledge), that is, "start styling
    the document from any point in the middle". If the language were not
    side-effect-free (one of the features of its processing model), one would
    have to download an entire document before one could style it, as (for
    example) the Panorama browser had to do. This not being necessary with XSL,
    the pipeline itself is not such a bottleneck clients are able to bear more
    load.

    I would also concur, however (more agreement here) with David and with
    Francois in his more outlandish post (that's a compliment, Francois!), both
    of whom suggest that the design questions here are really wide open, and
    that we'll be seeing many interesting experiments with peer-to-peer
    deployments, dynamic editions, etc. etc. This is really a brave new world.
    I wonder whether experiments with scholarly publishing in which many
    readers have capabilities (simultaneously?!) to amend or alter texts, have
    been done, how such texts can be framed and deployed, and what results
    we'll see. In some respects I think we'll find it's like the 1960s
    experiments with audience participation in theater: that it is vitalizing
    and enriching, and yet also in some ways, by threatening the formal
    integrity of the medium itself, a real risk: so every performance is either
    brilliant, or a complete bust. For us, it's the line between research and
    publication that blurs (as has been remarked on HUMANIST before), raising
    similar questions.

    But we will not be the only community facing this particular
    architecture/design problem, by any means. Think of Internet-based medical
    informatics, financial services.... we actually have quite a bit to
    contribute here, as David also says.

    Best regards,
    Wendell