14.0460 hypertext: bibliographical suggestions & pointers

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/02/00

       [1]   From:    Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>   (37)
             Subject: Re: 14.0405 a complaint

       [2]   From:    Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>   (60)
             Subject: Re: 14.0300 recommended readings?

             Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 08:36:28 +0000
             From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>

    At 7:53 AM +0100 24/10/00, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
     >As far as I can determine the major
     >venue is the series of Hypertext conferences run by the ACM, whose
     >proceedings are online but kept under lock-and-key in the ACM's "Digital
     >Library", <http://www.acm.org/dl/>, "a vast resource of bibliographic
     >information, citations, and full-text articles" which costs $185/year to
     >have unmetred access to; without joining one can purchase individual
     >articles -- at $10 each (now THERE'S a risk). Hence, if you're not already
     >part of the sub-community that goes to the conferences and collects the
     >proceedings volumes, you're severely discouraged from finding out what it's
     >doing. Outside of this tightly controlled though not topically organised
     >resource, as far as I can determine there is no current academic
     >bibliography of research in the area.

    I don't maintain such a bibliography however the bowerbird project is
    specifically an attempt to index this material. it is located at
    http://bowerbird.rmit.edu.au:8080 (its currently being completely rebuilt
    so there are some gaps in its database) and it is what the ecommerce people
    now describe as a 'vortal' - a vertical portal. (their terminology, not mine.)

    basically bowerbird indexes web sites that deal with hypertext, it applies
    a set of filter words and only keeps pages that meet its criteria. in this
    way it has crawled approximately 200,000 pages across nearly 300 web sites
    but only indexes about 10% of these pages. this means that bowerbird, while
    perhaps not finding exactly your search term, usually lands you within a
    click or two (that is, a page or two) of what it is you actually want.

    Rosemary Simpson of Brown has sent her URL, which is the major effort in
    the area to provide a single portal into hypertext.

    I'd also have a look around http://www.hypertextkitchen.com/ which is an
    information source on hypertext. Its more a simple news source, but often
    has good links.

    Regards
    adrian miles
    --

    lecturer in cinema studies and new media rmit university.
    61 03 9925 3157