14.0446 heroes &c.

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/30/00

       [1]   From:    lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)      (30)
             Subject: heroes of humility

       [2]   From:    "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com>              (10)
             Subject: Re: Hero worship, AI, and robotics

             Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 06:56:56 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Willard,

    Would you care to elaborate on the argument you put forth below. I am
    puzzled. Is always the case that admiration passes through similitude
    before arriving at action?

       >           >
      > Science. One of the great biographies must be Constance Reid's Hilbert (NY:
      > Springer Verlag, 1996). Yet I find its great-man worshipful tone to be
      > cloying as well as utterly unnecessary. It seems to me that this does no
      > service nor real honour to a truly great mathematician -- because it tends
      > to suggest that the person is not one of us, which conveniently releases us
      > from responsibility to become what we find to admire. Having studied with a

    Second question: is there a set of conventions in the genre of biography
    that compel a biographer to adopt a tone of humility vis a vis the object
    of study unlike say a hagiographic account of the life of St. Ignatious
    Loyola produced by a Jesuit proud of the order to which he and the founder
    of the order belong? And what would the atheist reader do with such a text
    if not imitate the Spiritual Exercises.

    Last question: does not the "responsibility to become what we find to
    admire" rest upon a more fundmental imperative -- to empathise with beings
    other than ourselves -- which of course becomes circular since if it is
    the gift of empathy that we admire in great humanists such as Erasmus
    and Panofsky it is , is it not, that empathy which propels us to
    admiration?

    Very fitting that such an Entscheidungsproblem is sparked by a reference
    to David Hilbert.

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance