14.0444 rhetorical encoding & mechanical methods

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/30/00

             Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 06:58:12 +0000
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0420 rhetorical encoding & mechanical methods

    Hi everyone,

    At 09:22 AM 10/27/00 +0100, Francois wrote:
     >I find myself provoked and stimulated by Wendell, who in a recent posting,
     >suggests that rhetoric may be a type of "encoding" by way of a
     >categorizing of "what works".

    That's one way of putting it. I'm also interested that both encoding and
    rhetoric are forms of disguising or metamorphosis.

     >I would venture that those that are propelled by the
     >pursuit of primitives value reliability above resilience and those keen on
     >the argument and the evidence steer a different course towards the ever
     >evasive primitive.

    Great stuff, Francois. As is the entire post: the notice that both encoding
    and commentary require _slowing down_ is itself revelatory (and nicely
    ironic, given how much encoding is done in order to help someone "speed up").

    Cheers,
    Wendell