14.0432 cooperative restraint, please

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/28/00

             Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:51:07 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: cooperative restraint

    Dear Colleagues:

    The last rather voluminous batch of Humanist messages s.v. "new on WWW"
    prompts me to ask for some cooperative restraint. Please, if you send to
    Humanist announcements whose contents might be gleaned from corresponding
    Web sites, delete everything but a summary of these contents and whatever
    URLs are required. In the past, conference announcements have been
    particularly a problem, which I have addressed by deleting as much as
    possible from them. I may be able likewise to hack large sections from
    announcements of online resources etc., but the amount of time this
    required of me today (at the time of writing) leads me to think that I will
    not be able to continue. It makes no sense, really, to have such
    duplication. We can assume, can we not, that everyone who reads these
    notices has access to the Web? Can we pull together as a community well
    enough that contributors will do a bit of self-editing?

    The alternative is for me simply to delete messages altogether as necessity
    suggests. There's no way Humanist can publish everything relevant to
    humanities computing. So, somehow, we need also to contribute only the most
    important & consequential things.

    Many thanks for your help.

    Yours,
    WM

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Centre for Computing in the Humanities /
    King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/