14.0413 a complaint answered, sort of....

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/25/00

       [1]   From:    Einat Amitay <einat@ics.mq.edu.au>                  (61)
             Subject: Re: 14.0405 a complaint

       [2]   From:    "Dr Donald J. Weinshank" <weinshan@cse.msu.edu>     (40)

       [3]   From:    "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com>              (19)
             Subject: Re: A Complaint

             Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:05:18 +0100
             From: Einat Amitay <einat@ics.mq.edu.au>

    Hi Willard,

    The problem you describe is less of a problem if you know the culture of the
    community... But if you come from the outside here are some instructions:

    It is part of an unwritten agreement that authors can put published papers
    online and make them available for free via their web page, as long as it
    is not
    for commercial use. This means that most of the papers you're after can be
    found
    online via the author's site (if you can find it).

    There is an application based on this agreement called citeseer/reasearchindex
    and here is a link to a search on the word "hypertext" there. All the articles
    that have a link DOC highlighted are available online. It is ranked
    according to
    the number of citations made (and as you can guess Halasz & Conklin are at the
    top...).

    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?q=hypertext&submit=Search+Citations&cs=1

    A nice feature is the "context" feature that allows you to see who cites the
    article and in what context.

    Another similar source is CORA (query for "hypertext" when you get the search
    engine):
    http://www.cora.jprc.com/

    Other main authors in the field (with publications available free online):
    http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~marshall/pubs.html
    http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~shipman/
    http://raven.ubalt.edu/staff/moulthrop/
    wh@ecs.soton.ac.uk">http://www.bib.ecs.soton.ac.uk/people/wh@ecs.soton.ac.uk
    http://www.slis.indiana.edu/adillon/web/rescont.html
    http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~leggett/leggettpubs/publications.html
    http://www.bates.edu/~dkolb/essays.html
    http://www.workpractice.com/trigg/
    http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/members/bshneiderman/umlpapers/
    http://www.well.com/user/jer/biblio.html
    http://cs.aue.auc.dk/~pnuern/papers/
    http://www.cwi.nl/~lynda/publications.html

    etc.

    Another free place (quite important) is the WWW conference proceedings. All are
    free and online. Some years have more related articles than others but you can
    find some interesting bits there. You can find them through my list at:
    http://www.ics.mq.edu.au/~einat/web_ir/proceedings.html

    Hope this is of some help.

    The general way to go about finding an ACM paper for free is this:

    1) Go to the ACM DL site - look through the available titles for your query.
    2) Open another Web browser window and go to Google.com
    3) Search Google for the name of the first author of the paper you are after
    4) If you found the home page of this person try finding a publications link
    there
    5) If you're lucky you now have an electronic version of the paper from the
    proceedings!

    If not - don't lose heart:
    - it might be hiding somewhere and is not linked to the author's page (this is
    how you learn who is the real author of the paper - the person who has the
    electronic version is usually tightly involved in the writing - and it might be
    the third or even the fourth author).

    OK - I'm done, good luck,
    +:o)
    einat