14.0397 sociological perspective

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/21/00

             Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 06:56:04 +0100
             From: Ken Litkowski <ken@clres.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0391 sociological reflections & the social
    sciences inhumanities  computing

    I would definitely second Willard's comments on the importance of the
    sociological perspective in humanities.  As a non-humanities layperson,
    I would think in the first instance that the subject matter of
    humanities is an examination of how the operation of human society
    proceeds, while sociology attempts to study that operation from an
    analytical viewpoint.

    In the second place, as a computationalist, one of the things I have
    implemented and worked with is content analysis, which I have seen
    applied to both literature (e.g., Hamlet) and "sociological" data (e.g.,
    transcripts of perspectives of nursing home patients, operators, and
    administrators).  Thus, methods (and software) are available from the
    sociology community that can be applied as well to humanist studies.
    (And, BTW, they rely on words - the "primitives" of society - and my
    thing.)
    --
    Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
    CL Research                       EMAIL: ken@clres.com