14.0396 primitives, argumentation, markup and evidence

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/21/00

       [1]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>              (72)
             Subject: Re: 14.0387 primitives, argumentation, evidence

       [2]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>               (5)

             Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 06:52:58 +0100
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

    Hi Francois,

    What an amazing post. Ably defended, and I have to agree with everything
    you're saying. I'm also struck by your linking of our recent thread on
    methodological primitives to strategies of argumentation. Of course they
    have everything to do with one another. (Just a glance at Unsworth's
    categories ought to alert us to this, but somehow I missed it.)

    Also satisfying because here, certainly, the mysteries start. How do we
    categorize what works to bring about the shock of recognition, the faith of
    shared conviction, or the stimulating provocation of a perpendicular view?

    We've noted from time to time that markup seems to be an odd (displaced and
    behind-scenes) species of rhetoric. Whether "encoding" is, is another
    question: maybe rhetoric is a form of encoding. The notion of trope,
    metaphor or metamorphosis is deeply worked up in this. Both rhetoric and
    encoding seem to be tropes for "trope". This gets mixed up because of the
    intimate but vexed relation, as in all poetry, between what is up front
    (the "interface"?) and what is (presumed to be) behind it. The system is
    generative of complexities, so that this relation itself is soon so
    manifold and subtle as to become inexplicable.

    I am reassured by a remark made just this morning by an independent
    scholar/Humanist friend of mine who's just getting a feel for the power of
    generic markup in textual editing. "You've got to get down in the
    [ttranscribed] text to fix it anyway," he says, "it's never perfect. So
    while you're there, you may as well put in good code: it saves you so much
    work later." In his eagerness, he may be sliding over how bold and
    dangerous this work is. But he is certainly right that for scholarly
    production, something has to be done sometime, somehow.

    I'm already on record suggesting that boiling it all down to methodological
    primitives isn't going to save us any work. Call it "rhetorical primitives"
    and we're talking about one of the oldest games in the book. Selection,
    likening, typing, discrimination, juxtaposition. Nevertheless, it is all
    definitely part of understanding what it is we do, and why we do it. That
    is to say, I guess, part of that strange kind of self-erasing poetry called
    "criticism".

    I hope no other readers take my claiming bandwidth here to discourage them
    from answering your question: "do certain patterns of presenting arguments
    and evidence have an impact on the perceived feasibility and desirability
    of mechanizing methods?"

    Cheers,
    Wendell