14.0377 new on WWW

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/18/00

       [1]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                   (101)
             Subject: Issue 2 of Cultivate Interactive Available

       [2]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (20)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Shelley Jackson's Ineradicable Stain

       [3]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                   (165)
             Subject: Oct issues of D-Lib magazine & RLG DigiNews

             Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:46:34 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 16, 2000

                            Issue 2 of Cultivate Interactive
                          <<http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/>

    The recommended second issue of the fascinating web magazine Cultivate
    Interactive, produced by the UK's Office of Library Networking (UKOLN)is
    now available.

    David Green
    ===========

     >From: Marieke Napier <M.Napier@ukoln.ac.uk>
     >To: cultivateml2@ukoln.ac.uk
     >>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:32:35 +0100

    Welcome to Issue 2 of Cultivate Interactive

    Issue 2 of Cultivate Interactive is now available:
    <<http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/>

    The highlights include:

    Feature Articles
    ----------------------

    Perseus Digital Library
    Gregory Crane, Brian Fuchs, Amy C. Smith and Clifford E. Wulfman discuss the
    symbiosis between content and technology in the Perseus Digital Library.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/perseus/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/perseus/

    Museums in the Digital Space
    Head of Collections Management for the Science Museum, Suzanne Keene,
    reflects on current political, economic, social, technical and
    organisational trends shaping the UK digital cultural space.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/space/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/space/

    Www.European-Heritage.Net
    Daniel Thrond introduces the European information network on cultural
    heritage policies (HEREIN project).
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/herein/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/herein/

    Machine Translation
    Alastair Lindsay of Worldlingo.com explains how you can use MT as part of
    your Internet strategy.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/lingo/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/lingo/

    VAKHUM
    Serge Van Sint Jan gives us a behind the scenes look at the new source of
    data on human kinematics created by the VAKHUM Project.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/vakhum/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/vakhum/

    Public Netbase t0
    Public Netbase t0, creators of World-Information.Org, are one of Europe's
    most respected media-culture institutions. Martin Wassermair talks about its
    international Success and recent struggles with Austria's new right-wing
    government.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/netbase/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/netbase/

    Regular Articles
    ----------------------

    EVA 2000
    Philip Hunter gives a personal view of the Electronic Imaging and the Visual
    Arts Conference (EVA) in Edinburgh.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/eva/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/eva/

    Metadata: Towards a Whole-Museum Response
    Neil Thomson reports on work in progress to provide information about the
    many and varied collections that are held at The Natural History Museum. The
    work involves the research systems having their core fields mapped onto the
    Dublin Core metadata standard, harvested and stored in a separate, publicly
    available, summary system.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/natural/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/natural/

    Other Areas
    ------------------

    The Creation of the Renaissance Library Calendar
    Gunnel Stjernvall explains how the calendar created specifically for
    information professionals and culture lovers came about.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/calendar/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/calendar/

    Making your DIGICULT Web site Visually Appealing
    An Introduction to using Graphics on the Web for those creating their own
    sites.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/graphics/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/graphics/

    Competition
    Cultivate Interactive's Spot the European City Competition.
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/competition/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/issue2/competition/

    If you have any queries regarding Cultivate Interactive or writing for
    Cultivate Interactive please send them to <cultivate-editor@ukoln.ac.uk>

    Marieke Napier, Information Officer
    Editor of the Exploit Interactive and Cultivate Interactive web magazines
    UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
    Email: m.napier@ukoln.ac.uk URL:
    <http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/>http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
    Exploit Interactive: <http://www.exploit-lib.org/>http://www.exploit-lib.org/
    Cultivate Interactive:
    <http://www.cultivate-int.org/>http://www.cultivate-int.org/
    Homepage:
    <http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/m.napier/>http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/m.napier/

    Phone: 01225 826354
    FAX: 01225 826838
    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.