14.0368 markup, encoding, content-modelling, primitives

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/17/00

       [1]   From:    lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)      (18)
             Subject: Re: 14.0362 terminological questions

       [2]   From:    "J. Randolph Radney" <radney@twu.ca>                (14)
             Subject: primitives

             Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:49:44 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Fotis,

    Would a third term help?

    	Content modeling

    	Encoding

    	Markup

    Markup would cover the actualization of encoding principles in an
    instance. (aka as "tagging")

    Encoding would cover working out the relationships between the various
    elements, attributes, entities of a markup scheme.

    Content modeling would cover the analysis of the document set and the
    information needs of the end-users as well as the information
    interchange environment.

    It becomes interesting to have students generate a table that places these
    three alongside the "format, structure, content" trio (see Colby and
    Jackson _Using SGML_ (1996) p. 35 ff) and watch the dialogue and
    discussion grow as they exchange the results and discover their own
    understanding of form and the malleability of textual artefacts.

    Francois