14.0346 troubles & some entertainment

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/13/00

             Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:56:12 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: troubles

    Dear colleagues:

    In recent days we have discovered additional problems with the software
    that processes Humanist archives and the software that takes care of
    subscriptions. The problems are under investigation now. If you know anyone
    who has been affected and is not likely to receive this message otherwise,
    please forward it. In addition I had a machine crash at home (on the same
    day that the washing machine died and the gas stove stopped working...),
    which has meant that Humanist could not get my attention as regularly as it
    ordinarily has. If you have submitted a message which after this morning's
    posting has not appeared, please resubmit -- I simply cannot be sure that
    messages have not gone astray somehow in all the attendant confusion.

    On behalf of our family of automata, nostra maxima culpa!

    So much for the troubles. Now the entertainment. I advise you to read
    Humanist 14.0350 (1) very carefully. The latest Eudora, version 5.0, has a
    new feature called "MoodWatch", which in loco parentis scans incoming and
    outgoing e-mail messages for offensive content. It marks those it detects
    as offensive with one, two or three chili-pepper icons to signify "might be
    offensive", "is probably offensive" and (oi veh!) "is on fire",
    respectively. So, MoodWatch looked at message (1) in 14.0350 and rated it
    with TWO chili-peppers. Discovering why is an exercise for the reader. The
    CEO of the company must not be named Richard!

    Yours,
    WM